A Day Trip From Swellendam – The Tradouw Pass, The Little Karoo and more
An exploration day trip from Swellendam, making a full circle through the majestic Langeberg Mountains via the Tradouw Pass. What makes this trip unique is being able to experience the lush landscapes of the Overberg, to the contrasting and equally jaw-dropping, thirsty landscapes of the Little (Klein) Karoo in one trip.
On this trip you can expect to experience:
- The Tradouw Pass
- Gorgeous landscapes in the old missionary village of Suurbraak
- The famous Route 62
- The hidden gem, the Route 60
The Tradouw Pass has many spectacular viewpoints overlooking the Grootvadersbosch Conservancy. It is a 16km drive through the Langeberg Mountains and is rated as one of the most beautiful passes in the Western Cape.
The Little Karoo
The famous Route 62 is based in the Little Karoo. When you have travelled through the Tradouw Pass you will arrive in a small town Barrydale. Go and explore! This little town is quirky and fun. See my suggestions below.
Continue in the direction of the beautiful little town of Montagu. It is home to the Montagu Springs, a hot water springs resort. The perfect spot for some swimming! Return to Swellendam via the Route 60. Scroll down for my suggestions.
The Route 60
The Route 60 is not as famous as the Route 62, but equally beautiful. The "route" less travelled. This route has many farmstalls and delicious eateries to make a stop at. Scroll down for my suggestions.
My favourite stops in no specific order:
(There are many options, so choose wisely. You will not able to do them all in one trip, all the more reason to return!)
- Rolandale Farmstall in Buffeljagsrivier on the N2 for big open spaces, play area for the kids and delicious coffee. Big ups for them for being pet- and child-friendly!
- Oude Post Bistro for a quick takeaway Roosterkoek while filling up your car with petrol. Yummy Yummy Yummy! So many delicious fillings to choose from.
- Suurbraak. Take a scenic stroll through the small town and chat with a local.
- Stop at a viewpoint on the Tradouw Pass. The scenery will speak for itself...
- The quirky Diesel & Creme in Barrydale for decadent FREAK milkshakes. Also worth a quick peek is The Donkey Shed and The Country Pumpkin.
- Montagu Springs as a day visitor - take your swimsuit and sunscreen with! Perfect spot for the kids to swim and play in the water.
- Kloof Restaurant at the Montagu Farm Stall. The play area for the kids is fantastic! The tables are located right by the play area, so who cares if you have to wait a little bit longer for your beer...?
- Spanspek se Plek is a pretty farm stall, with often fresh produce and other value for money goodies. I keep on going back!
- La Mont Cheese - Value for your money! Do a quick cheese and wine pairing or have a wood fired pizza.
- Jan Harmsgat. Now this place has stolen my heart. My recommendation is to book a romantic picnic in advance under the pecan trees. Value for money! It is a 5* venue but is also child-friendly. The service is beyond excellent and the food is fantastic. The outside play area for the kids is beautiful.
Let me know in the comments which were your favourite stops! Or perhaps you have discovered another hidden gem? I would love to hear about it.